[Acpc-l] INFORMATIKKOLLOQUIUM: 8.11.2002 15h30 Ph. Bernstein: Generic Model Management -- A Database Infrastructure for Schema Manipulation

Therese Schwarz sek@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 10:21:03 +0100

Der Fachbereich Informatik und die Österreichische Computer Gesellschaft
laden zu folgendem Vortrag ein:

Generic Model Management -- A Database Infrastructure for Schema
Manipulation
Philip A. Bernstein
Microsoft Research.
http://www.research.microsoft.com/~philbe

Zeit:  08.11.2002, 15:30 s.t.
Ort:   Zemanek Hörsaal, Favoritenstraße 11/Erdgeschoß/roter Bereich

ABSTRACT: Despite 30 years of research on database support for engineering
applications, such applications remain complicated and hard to build.
To improve this situation by an order of magnitude, a much higher level
API is needed. We present such an interface, called Model Management.
Its objects are models and mappings. By "model," we mean a complex
structure that represents a design artifact, such as a relational
schema, XML schema, object-oriented interface, UML model, web-site map,
or software configuration. By "mapping," we mean an explicit
representation of connections or transformations between two models. The
main operations of Model Management are match, merge, diff, and compose.
We explain how these operations can be used to solve classical meta data
management problems and sketch a system architecture to implement them.

Short Biography: Phil Bernstein is a researcher at Microsoft Corporation.
Over the past
25 years, he has been a product architect at Microsoft and at Digital
Equipment Corp., a professor at Harvard University and Wang Institute of
Graduate Studies, and a VP Software at Sequoia Systems. During that
time, he has published over 100 articles on the theory and
implementation of database systems, and coauthored three books,
"Concurrency Control and Recovery In Database Systems" (Addison Wesely,
1987), "Principles of Transaction Processing", (Morgan Kaufmann, 1996),
and "Principles of Transaction Processing for the System
Professional" (Morgan Kaufmann, 1997). He holds a B.S. from Cornell
University and a Ph.D. from University of Toronto. A summary of his
current research on meta data management can be found at.

"Der Fachbereich Informatik wird unterstützt von Siemens AG Österreich"

--
Schwarz Therese
Vienna University of Technology - Database & AI Group