[Acpc-l] Fwd: European-funded research opportunities

Wolfgang Schreiner Wolfgang.Schreiner@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:49:40 +0200

For your information.

WS

------- Forwarded message -------
From: HPC-Europa at EPCC <europa@epcc.ed.ac.uk>
To: Wolfgang.Schreiner@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Subject: European-funded research opportunities
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:44:56 +0100 (BST)

> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> I am sure that you already know that HPC-Europa has now replaced the
> TRACS
> programme, which came to an end on 31 July 2003, after 10 very successful
> years.
>
> HPC-Europa is a European consortium which offers TRACS-style visits at
> any
> one of six participating centres: EPCC, CINECA (Bologna), CEPBA
> (Barcelona), HLRS (Stuttgart), IDRIS (Paris) and SARA (Amsterdam).
> HPC-Europa therefore offers a bigger variety of HPC resources than TRACS
> could offer, and has connections with more research groups around Europe,
> increasing the potential for collaboration.
>
> HPC-Europa has held its first closing date for applications and is now
> looking to publicise the programme widely for the next closing date
> (which
> is 15 May). In particular, we are very keen to raise the visibility of
> the
> programme in eastern European countries, and recent conversations we have
> had with researchers in these countries suggest that people there do not
> apply for the programme because they do not think that they have any
> chance
> of their application being accepted.
>
> In fact, the European Commission aims "to ensure that European
> researchers
> have access to the infrastructures they require to conduct their
> research,
> irrespective of the location of the infrastructure". The conditions of
> the
> contract state that:
>
> "The user group selection panel shall base its selection on scientific
> merit, taking into account that priority should be given to user groups
> who:
> - have not previously used the infrastructure, and
> - are working in countries where no such research infrastructures exist."
>
> This means that applicants in eastern European countries are very much
> encouraged to apply.
>
> In order for us to be able to publicise the programme effectively in
> eastern Europe, we would like to ask you to send us the details of any
> relevant research groups in your country. It would be particularly good
> have a contact name for the research group, but this is not necessary.
>
> Additionally, we will be sending out an electronic call for applications
> our former visitors in the next few weeks. We would be extremely grateful
> if you could pass this on to anyone you think may be interested,
> emphasising that eastern European researchers are particularly encouraged
> to reply.
>
> The HPC-Europa Transnational Access website is at
> http://www.hpc-europa.org/ta.html. The HPC-Europa team at EPCC can be
> contacted at europa@epcc.ed.ac.uk
>
> We look forward to hearing from you with your suggestions about whom to
> contact.

ao.Univ.-Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Wolfgang Schreiner
Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC-Linz)
Johannes Kepler University, A-4040 Linz, Austria (Europe)
Tel: +43 732 2468 9920 Email: Wolfgang.Schreiner@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fax: +43 732 2468 9930 PGP: finger schreine@milkyway.risc.uni-linz.ac.at
WWW: http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/schreine