[Aec-friends] Talk Announcement Prof. Berndt (10.1.2017, JKU Linz)

Carsten Schneider cschneid at risc.jku.at
Mon Jan 9 14:03:24 CET 2017

Peter asked me to forward the following Email:

Dear ACE-colleagues,

I regret to inform you that Prof. Berndt's talk
is cancelled.

We had to postpone his RISC visit because of unforeseen
passport problems.

Best wishes,
Peter Paule

Betreff: 	[Aec-friends] Talk Announcement Prof. Berndt (10.1.2017, JKU Linz)
Datum: 	Thu, 5 Jan 2017 13:03:10 +0100
Von: 	Carsten Schneider<cschneid at risc.jku.at>
An: 	aec-friends at risc.jku.at

*DK Talk and RISC Colloquium Announcement*

Prof. Bruce C. Berndt

10 January 2017, 3:30 p.m.,
HS 18 (Science Park 3, JKU campus)

"Ramanujan and his Notebooks"

India’s greatest mathematician, Srinivasa Ramanujan, was born in
southern India in 1887. For most of his short life of 32 years, he
worked in obscurity. In 1913, he wrote the famous English number
theorist G. H. Hardy a letter containing over 60 of his discoveries, but
he did not divulge his proofs. At Hardy’s invitation, Ramanujan came to
Cambridge for five years, and he became world renowned for his work,
partly in collaboration with Hardy. Slightly more than one year after
returning to India, Ramanujan died in 1920. We first provide a history
of Ramanujan’s life. Secondly, we give a history and description of the
notebooks in which he recorded his discoveries. Thirdly, we offer some
examples of entries from these notebooks.

Note by Peter Paule: The talk is directed to a general mathematical
audience; students are particularly welcome! - Professor Berndt is an
internationally renowned analytic number theorist. He is known
world-wide as a leading Ramanujan expert. - The recent film "The Man Who
Knew Infinity" ("Die Poesie des Unendlichen") presented a much-noticed
portrait of the Indian genius; actors: Jeremy Irons, Dev Patel ("Slumdog
Millionaire").

--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter Paule
Vorstand des Instituts fuer Symbolisches Rechnen (RISC)