[Aec-friends] RISC Colloquium Announcement: Prof. G.E. Andrews

Carsten Schneider cschneid at risc.jku.at
Fri Jan 27 11:36:55 CET 2017

*RISC Colloquium Announcement*

Prof. George E. Andrews
Pennsylvania State University

February 10, 2017; 11:00 a.m.,
RISC Seminarroom (Hagenberg castle)

"The Man Who Knew Infinity: the Movie, the Man, and the Mathematics"

Abstract:
In the spring of last year, the motion picture, The Man Who Knew
Infinity, was released. It is now available on DVD. The movie tells
the life story of the Indian genius, Ramanujan. In this talk, I hope
to start with the trailer from the movie. Then I shall provide some
discussion of Ramanujan's life. Finally I hope to give a glimpse of
his mathematics from the celebrated Lost Notebook. I will especially
try to highlight aspects where computer algebra leads us to the solution
of some of Ramanujan's mysteries while still leaving us in the dark
concerning how he came to his discoveries.

Note by Peter Paule: The talk is directed to a general mathematical
audience; students are particularly welcome! - Professor Andrews was
President (2009-2010) of the American Mathematical Society (AMS). He
is a world-renowned expert on Ramanujan's work. For instance, in 1977
he went to Cambridge to look for historic works in the Wren Library of
Trinity College. There he found pages of mathematical work in Srinivasa
Ramanujan's own handwriting. This discovery led to Andrews' spending
thirty years on the hundreds of results in what he called Ramanujan’s
Lost Notebook.
Andrews has also been involved in computer algebra and teaching, has given
many lectures all over the world, was on the committee that wrote problems
for the Putnam Exam, and has served on the editorial boards of numerous
mathematical journals.
Andrews is a Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow
of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
He is currently Evan Pugh Professor of Mathematics at The Pennsylvania
State University. Andrews is a Fellow of the AMS. -
The movie "The Man Who Knew Infinity" was also released in German, "Die
Poesie des Unendlichen"; actors: Jeremy Irons, Dev Patel ("Slumdog
Millionaire").