[Aec-friends] Program of the SFB meeting on Friday, Oct. 19

Michael Drmota michael.drmota at tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 18 15:46:28 CEST 2018

Here is now the program for tomorrow.
Please let me also know who intends to comes for lunch!
We have reserved a table for 15-20 people (starting) at 12:15 at
"Resselpark" for "TU Wien"
https://www.restaurant-resselpark.at/

With best wishes,
Michael

-----------

Program:

14:00-14:20 Valerie Roitner (TU Wien):
    The average number of contacts in 2-watermelons without wall
14:20-14:40: Katarzyna Grygiel (TU Wien):
    Lambda terms, and what brought me to Vienna
14:40-15:00: Ali Uncu (RISC, Hagenberg)
   Polynomial Identities that Imply Capparelli's Partition Theorems, and
more
15:00-15:30: coffee break
15:30-16:15: Gaurav Bhatnagar (Universität Wien):
    Orthogonal polynomials associated with a continued fraction of
    Hirschhorn

Abstracts:

Valerie Roitner:

    The average number of contacts in 2-watermelons without wall

Abstract:
This talk deals with 2-watermelons, i.e. a pair of nonintersecting
Dyck-paths (with conditions on the start- and endpoints).

I will analyze the average number of contacts (i.e. the points where the
path are at minimal distance from each other) in 2-watermelons and give
both exact and asymptotic results for expected value and variance via a
bijection with weighted Motzkin-paths.

Katarzyna Grygiel:

    Lambda terms, and what brought me to Vienna

Abstract:
Not as intriguingly as did Robert Graves with the story of Claudius, yet
doing my best, I will briefly present myself, providing some insights
into my interests and reasons that lead me to where I am now. And most
importantly there will be several interesting connections between
combinatorics and lambda calculus.

Gaurav Bhatnagar:

    Orthogonal polynomials associated with a continued fraction of
    Hirschhorn

Abstract:

We study orthogonal polynomials associated with a continued fraction due to
Hirschhorn.
Hirschhorn's continued fraction contains as special cases  the famous
Rogers--Ramanujan continued fraction and two of Ramanujan's
generalizations.
The orthogonality measure of the set of polynomials obtained has an
absolutely continuous component. We find generating functions, asymptotic
formulas, orthogonality relations, and the Stieltjes transform of the
measure. Using standard generating function techniques, we show how to
obtain formulas for the convergents of Ramanujan's continued fractions,
including a formula that Ramanujan recorded himself as Entry 16 in Chapter
16 of his second notebook. This is joint work with Mourad Ismail.