[Aec-friends] Invitation: 2nd talk by Prof. Armin Straub

Tanja Gutenbrunner Tanja.Gutenbrunner at risc.jku.at
Tue Apr 26 09:10:43 CEST 2022

Dear all,

Let me invite you cordially to the second Zoom
talk by Armin Straub; this time, it is a special
invited lecture as part of the RISC Algorithmic
Combinatorics Seminar.

---
Zoom-Login:
https://jku.zoom.us/j/94507814483?pwd=OTJRbEdhc1FlKzZZYklSQk9EaGZhdz09

Meeting-ID: 945 0781 4483
Password: HaveFun
---

Title: Sums of powers of binomials, their Apery limits, and Franel's
suspicions

Speaker: Prof. Armin Straub
(University of South Alabama, U.S.A.)

Time and Location: Wednesday, April 27, 2022, 2 p.m.
                    RISC pond seminar room and Zoom

Abstract:  Apery's proof of the irrationality of zeta(3) relies on
representing that value as the limit of the quotient of two rational
solutions to a three-term recurrence. We review such Apery limits and
explore a particularly simple instance. We then explicitly determine the
Apery limits attached to sums of powers of binomial coefficients. As
an application, we prove a weak version of Franel's conjecture on the
order of the recurrences for these sequences. This is based on joint
work with Wadim Zudilin.

Best wishes,
Veronika Pillwein