cpia_0.2 and wcII0.2 program works: first results

Jacob Nikom nikom@merl.com
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:12:25 -0400

Hi,

I was able successfully install Bas Huisman's cpia_0.2
driver. It runs OK, but I have some problems with it.
I used Redhat6.0 and kernel 2.2.5. In order to install
the driver I have to use depmod and modprobe commands
which is different than in INSTALL file.

I described my installation process in details. Do you
think it makes sense to add it to other driver docs?

Another problem is the quality of the image. I had to
change manually the number of returned bits from 15 to
32 in the file x11_2.c (thank to Jean-Michel Meriot).
Still strange things happen: just after I started the
program, first 10 - 15 seconds my video is good, and
after that starts to degrade significantly. I have
feeling that number of bits used for color is very low
- like 4 bits instead of 8. What could be a reason?
Why it is good for the first 10 seconds?

The program webIIcam0.2 by Jean-Michel Meriot runs well.
Actually, the color in this program looks much better than
in the Bas' one. It is especially good when I don't use
compression.

I am going to continue to play with these stuff and tell you
any new things which I learn. I also have some questions about
your code, but I ask them next time.

Thank you very much, guys for your work and help.

Jacob Nikom