CPiA Parallell port codebase

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:59:10 +0200 (CEST)

On 24-Jun-99 Nick Holloway wrote:
> A quick scan of the documentation suggests to me that the actual commands
> used to control the camera are the same for the USB and PPC2 drivers, and
> the main difference is the way in which the bytes get shoved about.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?  The code related to the
> camera could seperated out, and used by both the USB and PPC2 drivers.
> They would then pass the commands via function pointers in a "struct
> cpia_driver".
>
> This would be in the same way that the "struct tty_driver" defines
> the interface between the low-level tty driver and the tty routines
> (see tty_driver.h).
>
> This would mean only having to write the code providing the v4l driver
> (and goodies such as exposure adjustment), deciding what commands to
> send to the camera, etc would only need to be written once.

I think providing a cpia-abstraction in whatever form is a good thing.
Actually, the current implementation ist based on exactly that very
abstraction. Which brings me to the following point. Are the USB-guys on
this list? If not, is anyone in contact with them? Before I start to
implement a v4l-layer I would like to have an idea of the API
to use. :) I will have a look at the USB-stuff later today to see what
they actually did.

> As an aside, I think an initial target would be a v4l module for the
> 2.2 kernel, as this provides a much larger set of users (and testers).
> It could also be added to the 2.3 kernel now.  The v4l2 driver could
> come later.

The v4l module for the current 2.2-kernels is about the only thing I do
need. :) I So if anyone is working on such a thing he/she should contact
me to avoid duplicate efforts.

As a side note, the only reasonable picture I got out of the camera was
with a 16bit X display  (tried 8/16/24) using the main2-client. The colors
are rather bad and there are quite some nasty artifacts in the picture.
Anyone got a better picture out of the box?

Greetings, Peter