Kernel upgrade + driver compilation

Rodrigo B. rodrigorr@yahoo.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:37:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

I just wanted to share some information I came across while
compiling the driver for the parallel port WebcamII, which
I think might be useful for others too...

I (like many other linux users still, I guess) was running
a 2.0.x series kernel until I tried to install the
webcam-driver. The need for a 2.2.x kernel was clear either
from the docs, the homepage or this list (I dont quite
remember right now).  So I proceeded to install it (make
xconf; make dep clean zImage modules modules_install), not
forgetting to enable modules, parport and parport_pc.  When
I had gotten this far I compiled the driver module, and it
did not work (error message: "unresolved symbol
parport_pc_read_fifo" with insmod).  Until some day,
looking over the kernel logs, I found the following
message, which originated always during startup: "Cannot
find map file".  And then, looking for some "map" file, I
found out that a "System.map" is created after the kernel
compilation process.  I also discovered that copying this
file (I also copied the file "vmlinux", but I am not sure
if this is necessary too) to /boot, the insmod error would
not appear anymore.  Since then I have been able to use the
webcam.

I found no reference to "System.map" in the Kernel-HOWTO,
and also almost nothing on the web.  This could be
something appropriate for inclusion in the README or
INSTALL file of the current cpia distribution.

Last but not least, I would like to thank those of you
developing this driver and the associated software (I
already downloaded and succesfully executed the wcIIcam
program).

Rodrigo