Info on CPiA USB driver

R. Steven Rainwater srainwater@ncc.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:23:33 -0500

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:31:29 +0200, Markus Eiden wrote:

>> I just finished compiling the Linux 2.3.11 kernel with Johannes
>> Erdfelt's Vision USB driver.  I'm using the Zoomcam USB camera.
>>
>> I tried compiling a program called w3cam which, when I run it,
>> has the interesting effect of causing the system to instantly
>> reboot without any sort of warning or error message.
>
>I do not know much about the USB camera, but it works here. You
>may have a look at
>http://bbs1.biz-worms.de/projekte/Netz/WebCam/Creatix.phtml
>for a short description.

Thanks! I still haven't got it working here but the info on that
page was helpful. I'm now using the vidcat program to try grabs.
Here's what happens now when I do a "vidcat > test.jpg":

A lot of numberic information spews by the console way too fast
for me to read, followed by this message:

	Aiee, killing interrupt handler
	Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

At which point I have to hit the reset switch. This is a slight
improvement over the self-rebooting behaviour I was getting
before as I at least get to see an error message!

I noticed on that web page, they say it worked with 2.3.5 but
not with 2.3.7.  I'm using 2.3.11 and it appears not to work
with that either. Hmmm... maybe 2.3.12 will be an improvement?

Any ideas on how to tell if it's the CPiA driver or one of the
USB components that's causing the crashes?

-Steve