Peters patch

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 21:39:37 +0100 (CET)

On 25-Nov-99 Bas Rijniersce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I misunderstood, but the patch was against 0.4.1? I did get some
> reject, but it compiled anyway :-) And it works great! Vidcat from w3cam
> no longer crashes by machine!

Yep, it was against 0.4.1 by accident. I missed Scotts 0.4.2 patch by accident.

> I saw there is another 0.4.2 version on the webpage with some patches
> from Scott, that 0.4.2 doesn't have your patch Peter?

Yep, I will send a revised patch vs. that 0.4.2 to Jarl to put it on the web as
version 0.4.3. This is now close to all I want to do for the driver for now.
Please give it extensive testing. My plans for the near future:

Things that should work now:
- mmap interface now implemented as synchronous read
- DMA read has now timeout to prevent lockup if transfer fails
- dirty reset_camera patch to handle systemState 0x4
- check for skipsize in compressed image data since we cannot trust
  what we get from the camera
- SMP-safe
- works with w3cam/xawtv/gqcam/webcam/isabel-beta (partially) and maybe
  more, if you know of any other v4l-application that makes sense with a webcam
  let me know

Things that might be added by me before 1.0:
- VIDEO_PALETTE_YUVU422, ... needed by vic
- gqcam patch for gtk-1.1 backwards compatibility
- remove ioctl-kludge used by gqcam, this is better
  done with the proc-interface
- kwintv does not work, but I guess that's the application
  not the driver

Things to do for a later release:
- SMP-safe streaming with kernel thread
- thruput optimizations
- overlay support
- v4l2 ;)

I guess Scott has some more things in his mind. And it would be really nice if
someone wrote a camera control application. That's just reading and writing
strings from/to a file and a fency GUI. Not that hard. :)

Greetings, Peter