Question about compression algorithm

Jacob Nikom nikom@merl.com
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 11:43:21 -0400

Thank you for pointing me to the right source. I have read the material
but still have some questions.

Measuring the number of bytes which camera sends, I found that it
differs
between frames obviously due to compression. According to the
compression
algorithm if the pixel did not change between frames (with some
threshold)
its difference value is 0.

Nevertheless, the camera still has to send this pixel to the host,
otherwise
you loose the location of this zero pixel. Does it mean that the
compression
algorithm works only by compressing the dynamic range of the pixels, not
their
spatial information?

Also, is this way of compression common for all CCD and/or CMOS sensors?
Is there
any "standard" set of commands for CMOS sensors or every company like
Photobit
or VLSI Vision produces its own "silicon vision machine"?

Thank you,

Jacob Nikom