Creative Webcam II and Get*

Bas Huisman bhuism@cs.utwente.nl
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:17:40 +0200

You've hit the jackpot!

It has come to my attention that (very) little people
actually read the accompanying docs (BUGS, README etc.)
but then again so do I, but it's all there.

but you're right I could'nt get that to work, some other folks
are looking into this but it's a rather tricky thing. As far as I
know I've handled the protocol as it's specified in the pdf files.

Feel free to have a go and fixing this ...

some more TODO thingies for people who like to contribute:

- make it v4l(2) (you don't need any technical stuff done here,
	I've made the code modular enough to do this)
- make the "GET" command's work
- make it use DMA/IRQ (I could find a DMA_READ call in the 2.3.16 kernel
	, only DMA_WRITE)
- try to get it to work with the IEEE1284 setup-phases in the kernel
	instead of my custom ones.
- lot's more

I've seen some patches on the list and I'm very happy that
people spend some time working on the code, BUT nobody
actually did structual protocol updates. (only the replacement
of the WHILE_OUT macro) The low level
protocol things are in interface_pp_low.c which is (IMHO)
is what this driver is all about, let's not spend to many time
on decoding and colordepth (read: client) issues. I've made
this (I agree not so great) client program just to test the
thing, not for real-world use, and I have a feeling a lot
of people are using it for production stuff.

(I have some thing in the near future, and I believe a cpia-0.3.tgz
version will be coming soon, but don't expect to much)

keep up the good work,

Bas Huisman

Hannu Martikka wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have  bough Creative WebCamII. Am I doing something wrong or why can't I
> get any results with Get* calls. I have tried all the Get* functions
> (Get*Version,etc) and they all return all256...
>
> The interface_pp.c seems to send correct commands to camera and the
> testprogram (client/main) works reasonable well.
>
> - Goodi
> "The linuX Files -- The Source is Out There."
> ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°

                          .eeree$$              eee
                       .d$"   e$"                z$$
                 e$P   .$$
                 $$   .$$    bhuism@cs.utwente.nl