Parport monitorin/debug?

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:16:02 +0200 (CEST)

On 10-Sep-99 Hannu Martikka wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if there are any good ways to monitor/debug what goes
> in/out in paraller port?

Have a look at interface_pp_low.c. You will find a macro DBG(). That is about
as close as you can get to the status of the parport regarding the cpia-module.

> If I add some extra printf's on interface_pp.c does it show what REALLY
> goes in/out or should this monitoring happen on lower level?

It really depends what you print. ;) From the linux-point of view all you can
monitor is some inb/outb commands (in the case of i386).

> Or are there any other external progams that could clone /dev/lpt0
> input/output (without disturbing the data)? Also if possible the status of
> statuslines would be nice to see...

Note that /dev/lpt0 is _not_ involved here. But there is a single point of
access. You can patch the parport-module to do a sys-logging of the respective
data. It will really kill performance though. May I ask what the purpose of
this exercise is?

-Peter