install WEBCAM

Simon Kwan s_kwan@gps.com.hk
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:40:37 +0800

Hi,
    I would like to install web cam II, appreciate some help as I am new to Linux kernel works.
a. If the instruction on page still update?. http://bbs1.biz-worms.de/projekte/Netz/WebCam/Creatix.phtml
b. Which kernel to download? Where to get download?
c. After download, how to re-build kernel?
d. How to add in the needed module from your project?

What does this meant (from the instruction web page) What to type in and where (which file)?
-------------
configure the kernel
Enable: Video for Linux, USB and CPiA as a module.
-------------

Don't forget to give /dev/video the correct filemode!
Presumably, everyone read/write  okay?

boot the new kernel and insert the modules:
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.3.5/misc/usbcore.o
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.3.5/misc/usb-uhci.o
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.3.5/misc/videodev.o
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.3.5/misc/cpia.o

where to enter this (presumable in one of the  .rc script files)

----
vidcat: a small textbased captureprogram. Try:
/usr/local/bin/vidcat > /tmp/test.jpeg
where to get this?

TIA

Simon Kwan