[cpia] Can I use multiple cameras???

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:24:25 +0200

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 11:57:20AM -0400, sbertin@mindspring.com wrote:
> On  7 Apr, Carlos Ernesto López Natarén wrote:
> > I want to make a kindergarden monitor for five classrooms using
> > 5 Web cams II, my main concern is in how to connect them in the
> > server
>
> USB also has its limits. Each camera needs at least 2.5Mb/s. With 12Mb/s
> available bandwidth, that means a max of 4 cameras active at once.  To
> get that low bandwidth usage would probably require hardware and driver
> modifications.  The current driver with most cameras will need 7.4Mb/s,
> so only 1 active at a time.

I guess for surveilance purposes you do not need 10fps. Taking a
snap-shop every second might be enough. However, I have no idea how
fast kindergarden-kids are these days. :) I'd say the main problem is
distance.

-Peter

--
I will not waste chalk. --Bart Simpson at the blackboard
Email: Peter.Pregler@email.com