[cpia] gqcam hanging (was 'shm filesystem...')

Joseph C. Kopec kopecjc@att.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:04:54 -0400

I am using an Ezonics EZCam USB on a Pentium II 400 MHz running version
2.3.99-pre5 of the kernel (upgraded from the 2.2.12-20 kernel that came
with Redhat 6.1), with the JE UHCI USB option.  Everything is compiled
into the kernel except for cpia and cpia_usb, which I have as modules.

I managed to get the shm filesystem up and running (my earlier problem)
by creating a /var/shm directory with mkdir.  This stops gqcam from
complaining about shm when it starts up.  It runs fine for a few
minutes, but then gqcam invariably hangs (goes into 'D' state).  The
hanging seems unrelated to any activity with respect to gqcam or other
applications (for instance, it does not seem to be caused by taking
snapshots).  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going
wrong?

Additional question:  where can I get a man page type description of the
gqcam command line interface?  It did not seem to be in the materials on
sourceforge.