[cpia] yuv to rgb conversion in kernel-space?

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 12:43:49 +0100 (CET)

On 27-Feb-2000 Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> Have any of you thought about removing the YUV to RGB conversion in the
> driver? I was going to do that with the old USB CPiA driver since it
> doesn't really belong in the kernel. It should be done in user space.

I agree that it should be done in user space. But as long as 99% of the
application would have to be rewritten since they all expect some rgb and
cannot handle anything else I don't even think about removing it. If someone
would write a nice library for the suitable image conversions that applications
start to use things look different. But until that I think we should provide
the conversions in kernel space. Actually IMHO this is something teh v4l2
people should think about. They should provide such a library as part of a
minimal v4l API. Otherwise driver writers are always forced to some kludge. At
least if they would like people to use their driver. ;)

-Peter