[cpia] Hi!

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:06:42 +0100 (CET)

On 21-Jan-2000 Luis Villa wrote:
>       Finally, what is the state of the drivers? I know I need to
> upgrade to 2.3.x for this, but what does "semi-functional" mean,
> exactly?

That is wrong. The driver is not yet working with 2.3.x though the port is
underway. The 0.5-version is submitted to Alan and might appear in the
kernel in version 2.2.16. For the tarball available right now any 2.2.X
will do.

> I don't need anything particularly fast or efficient, but I really don't
> want to write any C just to get a web-cam up and running. All I really
> want is something that'll dump an image to a file every few seconds so
> that I can ftp it to a server. Is that reasonably easy to do, or will
> that require a lot of work?

W3cam, webcam and camserv are working for months now. Of cause I cannot
guarantee anything. You might be the one that encounters the latest bug in
the latest and brightes firmware release etc. But that's life. :)

>       Oh yeah, one other thing. Performance. My laptop is only a
> Pentium 200- will that be able to handle the driver and a reasonable
> frame rate? I would think so, but just in case...

In the parport case if you can use DMA for sure. As for PIO mode it might
suck all your CPU. But taking a picuture every second should be no problem.

-Peter

Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
WWW:   http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/ppregler