[cpia] cpia 1.0 bugreport

Johannes Erdfelt jerdfelt@sventech.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:30:13 -0400

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000, Gerard Saraber <gerard@saraber.dhs.org> wrote:
> Johannes Erdfelt wrote:

> > > There are 2 bad pieces of code in this case. The CPIA one can be fixed
> > > with the patch below, the usb one is more tricky. Basically, the UHCI
> > > USB driver (the "backend" driver for your mobo) has some serious deadlocks
> > > on SMP systems. These are reported to Alan Cox and should appear on the
> > > "todo" list really soon.
> >
> > Seeing as I maintain one of the UHCI drivers, I'd be really interested
> > in finding some more information. I do some substantial testing on SMP
> > systems during my testing of the driver and I've fixed all of the bugs
> > I've run into. I haven't run into any problems recently.
> >
> > Do you have any more information?
>
> Exactly what information are you looking for ?

Well, my question was to Arjan about the bugs he was talking about.

> It's an Abit BP6 mainboard,
> usb controller: 00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4
> USB (rev 01)
>
> umm lets see, as I said i'm running linux kernel 2.3.99-pre9 with the
> cpia 1.0 drivers (from sourceforge) copied into the kernel tree..
> I have an hpt366 UDMA/ATA66 ide controller onboard in use, i suppose its
> possible that the deadlock occurs when it's reading from the video4linux
> device and writing to disk at the same time ?

I doubt it. Usually 2 devices don't interfere like to cause a deadlock.
Bad hardware could cause problems.

> let me know if there is anything you want me to try or any /proc output
> you want to look at...
> I'll try Arjans patch next (bedankt!) and see if it does anything
> different...

His patch would fix problems exitting. Not while the device was open.
Did you try the other UHCI driver? (I forget which one you used)

Also, I think I asked already, but why didn't you use the cpia driver
that came with 2.3.99-pre9?

JE