[cpia] Webcam creative II and brightness ?

Henry Bruce Henry.BRUCE@st.com
Wed, 3 May 2000 10:33:27 +0100 (BST)

> Hi.
>
> I am working with Creative II and kernel 2.3.99pre6. All works well !! I am
>  making screeenshoot on my webpage using 'vidcat' but i am unhappy. Every
>  time i do a vidcat, vidcat open the CAM and make the photo. However cam
>  needs two or three seconds to adjust it's settings according the lights in
>  the room.
>
> So the result is that i have photos too dark or too bright.

This happens because the firmware always goes to a mid range exposure on
device initialisation, and it takes a number of frames to reach the correct
value. This will take longer if a low sensor frame rate is selected.

The Windows driver avoids the delay (in some cases) by remembering the
exposure (and gain) from the last session and applying it when the driver
opens.

Regards,

Henry Bruce