[cpia] STV0680

Adam Harrison adam@antispin.org
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:32:48 +0100

Hi All,

Since my last posts, I've spoken to someone within ST off the list (name
witheld by request) regarding their STV0680 chip. This is a just a status
report FYI:

1) Henry Bruce no longer works for ST, and he was the only person within
the company au fait with Linux.

2) The STV0680 has the same IP issues as the Mattel camera (namely they
have a good way of doing Bayer->RGB which they don't want to disclose)
therefore no software will be released for it. However, apparently most
future chips will have this functionality built into a co-processor.

3) The documentation for the USB and serial protocols are not fit for
external use, and since ST would have to expend resource bringing them up
to scratch we won't be seeing these either (despite them being offered a
complete driver free of charge).

In summary, 1) is a shame, 2) looks like it will become a non-issue in
future but I can't see 3) changing - if they won't release the docs for
this chip, then they're unlikely to do it for further versions regardless
of IPR issues. Avoid!

Cheers,

Adam.

--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
- Edmunde Burke