SOLVED! (was RE: [cpia] cpia-control was broken by pygtk 0.6.6->0.6.8 upgrade

f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:33:51 -0500 (EST)

On 16-Dec-2001 f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> On 15-Dec-2001 f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>> Hi,

>> While checking how cpia drivers work with latest kernels (2.4.16)
>> (after a  few tweaks) I found that cpia-control had become non functional.
>> It now seems this is not because of my tweaks to the drivers, but
>> because on RedHat-7.2 (to which I recently upgraded)
>> pygtk is at version 0.6.8, and pygnome is at version 1.4.

Hi.

This turned out to be a just-recognized RedHat 7.2 pygtk problem.
(I found it by searching the pygtk mailing list; cpia-control is
written to use pygtk).

RedHat 7.2 ships with a pygtk that has no thread support, due to a
broken patch that is supposed to conditionally disable pygtk threads if
an enviroment variable is set, but in fact always disables them.

This was noticed a few days ago, I guess there will be an updated gnome-python
rpm from RedHat soon (?).   In the meantime, I rebuilt the gnome-python rpm
with the patch commented out in the rpm spec file, and cpia-control works
again...

Duncan

E-Mail: f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net
Date: 16-Dec-2001