[cpia] Technical information about VLSI Vision chip (Utobia camera)

Alan Davis adavis@saipan.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:56:27 +1000

I have traded a case of beer for a utobia USB camera, which is working
fine on my Debian GNU/Linux (sid) box, now.
Many sites on the internet describe modifications to the Quickcams, but I
have not found much technical information on the VLSI Vision based
cameras, including mine.

I wish to modify the camera to be an IR sensitive camera.  A site
describes the modifications for the Quickcam:

 http://sunflower.bio.indiana.edu/~rhangart/quickcaminfo/quickcammod.html

This procedure involves removing an IR filter from the internals of the
camera.  I have disassembled the utobia USB camera, and it is nicely made,
but I don't immediately see any IR filter.  There IS a glass plate
overlying the CCD.  How can I find out what the function of this plate is?
 If it is an IR filter, then I would remove it.  I rather like the camera,
and I don't wish to take a chance if it this going to certainly end in
grief.

The camera is at least modestly sensitive to IR without any modification
at all.  Interestingly, many astronomy sites describe the use of IR
filters with Web cams to do telescope work.

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Alan Davis
Marianas High School
Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands