[cpia] WonderEye CP115 is not CPIA

Mark Whitis whitis@freelabs.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:59:27 -0500 (EST)

I bought a couple WonderEye CP115 cameras from walmart after seeing at
http://webcam.sourceforge.net/ that they were supported by the
CPIA driver.

WonderEye CP115 camera
Redhat 8.0
Linux kernel 2.4.18-14
cpia-1.2.2.tar.gz
USB ID: 0x0572/0x0040

The driver built into the kernel doesn't work because it doesn't
recognize 0x0572/0x0040.  So, I patched the USB table in the
driver and recompiled the kernel.  Eventually, I found that
the camera does not work at all with this driver.

Here is what I found out about the camera
WONDEREYE CP115    UPC 6-75151-91150-7
Board marking: REV:2 P/N: 35C115-0AA2
Chip: sensor, no number visable without microscope
     (probably CX20490 (640x480))
Chip: Conexant Dorado PC CX11646-11P4 E227689.1 0223 MEXICO

http://www.pictos.com/products/index.php?ID=17
   This chip can output jpeg, mjpeg, or YUV video.  This lets it
   do 640x480x30fps over USB 1.1.
   Companion to the CX20490 VGA CMOS Image Sensor

Neat looking chip but there is no programming/protocol documentation.

This chip is also being marketed for handheld digital cameras.

This unit has an adjustable focus lens.  Since that feature appears
on the product packaging with a little label overwriting one line
in the specifications, I suspect that this may be one way of
distinguishing this camera from previous wondereye cameras.

--
Mark Whitis   http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/       NO SPAM
Author of many open source software packages.