[cpia] Re: Creative Webcam II Parallel Port question

Duncan Haldane f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:54:15 -0500 (EST)

On 29-Nov-2002 Eugene Chiu wrote:

> I am running 2.4.19 and cpia-1.2.2, and try to get Creative Webcab II
> (Parallel port) working. When I modprobe cpia_pp, this is what I got in
> dmesg:
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> parport0: Multimedia device, VLSI Vision Ltd DUAL Camera
> Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> V4L-Driver for Vision CPiA based cameras v1.2.1
> Parallel port driver for Vision CPiA based cameras v1.2.1
> CPiA Version: 1.02 (1.0)
> CPiA PnP-ID: 0553:0001:0100
> VP-Version: 1.0 0100
>
> Is the failed line normal? I also have this file /proc/cpia/video0

This means that your parallel port is not "ECP"-mode ("extended-mode") capable.
At least you have TRISTATE.  (My parallel port only has EPP-mode and cannot work
with
the cpia driver, because no-one programmed it for EPP mode).  (I use the
cpia driver with a usb device, so its no problem for me).

I think in principle you should get (not very good?) performace with
TRISTATE mode.

> read-only
> -----------------------
> V4L Driver version: 1.2.1
> CPIA Version: 1.02 (1.0)
> CPIA PnP-ID: 0553:0001:0100
> VP-Version: 1.0 0100
> system_state: 0x03
> grab_state: 0x00
> stream_state: 0x00
> fatal_error: 0x00
> cmd_error: 0x20    <====== Hmmm !!!
> debug_flags: 0x00
> vp_status: 0x00
> error_code: 0x97
> video_size: CIF
> roi: ( 0, 0) to (352, 288)
> actual_fps: 0
> transfer_rate: 0kB/s
> read-write
> ----------------------- current min max default comment
> brightness: 50 0 100 50
> contrast: 48 0 80 48 steps of 8
> <snip>
>
> Can I consider this a successful load of the driver??

Well, it seems to have loaded and has found out some info
about the webcam.  But I presume it's not working, since you posted this
message?

This is what I get with the module loaded, but nothing accessing the (usb)
camera:
V4L Driver version:       1.2.1
CPIA Version:             1.30 (2.10)
CPIA PnP-ID:              0553:0002:0100
VP-Version:               1.0 0100
system_state:             0x03
grab_state:               0x00
stream_state:             0x00
fatal_error:              0x00
cmd_error:                0x00
debug_flags:              0x00
vp_status:                0xc0
error_code:               0x00
video_size:               CIF
roi:                      (  0,   0) to (352, 288)
actual_fps:                 0
transfer_rate:               0kB/s
<snip>

When I run gqcam to look at the imega on /dev/video0 I now get:

V4L Driver version:       1.2.1
CPIA Version:             1.30 (2.10)
CPIA PnP-ID:              0553:0002:0100
VP-Version:               1.0 0100
system_state:             0x03
grab_state:               0x00
stream_state:             0x00
fatal_error:              0x00
cmd_error:                0x00
debug_flags:              0x00
vp_status:                0xc0
error_code:               0x71
video_size:               CIF
roi:                      (  0,   0) to (352, 288)
actual_fps:                 9
transfer_rate:             319kB/s
<snip>

Your output seems to show some error condition?
Did you try to open the /dev/video0 with some video4linux application?
Duncan.