[cpia] Intel QX3 Microscope Button

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:47:09 +0200

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
Duncan Haldane <f.duncan.m.haldane@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a QX3, but I'm not sure what the button is supposed to do.
> I think holding it pressed down is supposed to record a movie, just pressing it
> takes a snapshot (in the wwidows driver).

That is a user-space task and not something to be done in kernel-space.
All the kernel should do is provide an interface for applications to
check for such an event in an efficient way (i.e. no busy-wait loop via
/proc but some open/close/select on a device). So the first step is to
see if v4l/v4l2 is ready for such a function. I think v4l2 should
provide something in that direction since it is needed for synchronised
recording (v4l most probably does not) .

-Peter