Vortrag Marianne Winslett, 12.10.98, 17.15 Uhr

Peter Brezany Peter Brezany <brezany@par.univie.ac.at>
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:27:42 +0200 (MET DST)

                          UNIVERSITAET WIEN
          INSTITUT FUER SOFTWARETECHNIK UND PARALLELE SYSTEME
                            gemeinsam mit
                                VCPC
           EUROPEAN CENTRE FOR PARALLEL COMPUTING AT VIENNA

      EINLADUNG ZU EINEM VORTRAG IM RAHMEN DES INSTITUTS-KOLLOQUIUMS:

                  The Panda Library for Parallel I/O
                  ----------------------------------

		      Prof. Dr. Marianne Winslett
		         University of Illinois
			Urbana-Champaign, IL USA

                ZEIT: Montag, 12. 10. 1998, 17:15 s.t

        ORT: Institut fuer Softwaretechnik und Parallele Systeme
                  1090 Wien, Liechtensteinstrasse 22,
                         Seminarraum, Mezzanin

Abstract

High-performance  scientific  applications  often  spend a large
fraction  of  their run time waiting  for I/O.  However, in  the
Panda  project, we have  found  that  a  careful analysis of I/O
bottlenecks,  plus  a  willingness to "think  outside  the  box",
can lead  to  parallel  I/O  performance   very close to the peak
limits  imposed  by a  platform's  system hardware  and  software.
In this  talk,  we describe  the basic approach we  have  taken to
parallel I/O, known as server-directed I/O. We present performance
results for reading  and  writing large multidimensional arrays on
traditional and cluster supercomputers,  and  discuss  the factors
that affect I/O performance in those environments. As time permits,
we will also  present an  overview  of our  approach  to  automated
tuning of our parallel I/O library, Panda, and  discuss the  impact
on parallel I/O of the need to migrate data to and from a supercom-
puter.