PPP2 driver interface_pp.c overhaul

Bas Rijniersce bas@brijn.nu
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:34:07 +0200

Hi,

sbertin@mindspring.com wrote:

> Forgive me if I step on somebody's toes here, but I just got my camera
> today and haven't seen any activity on this list yet.

Don't think so :) Everybody wants a working camera :-))

> I start playing around with my new Video Blaster WebCam II and found
> some significant deficiencies in the parallel port handling, so I fixed
> them.  The attached patch makes the following improvements over the 0.2
> version of the driver:
>         Support for multiple cameras. (untested)
>         Auto detection of cameras if CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT_MODULE is
>         defined for the kernel.
>
>         More correct usage of the parport driver.
>
>         Cameras detected at init rather than open.
>
>         If there is only one camera and CONFIG_PNP_PARPORT_MODULE is
>         set, it will always be /dev/cpia0 regardless of which parallel
>         port it is connected to.

> It also fixes the client for 16 and 32 bpp X servers.

Great !!!!! I used the patch and it works OK. I can't test the multiple
camera option :) The rest seems to work great. One question, all drivers
so far have put a huge load on the machine when starting the ./main
client program. Even my dual celeron with a lot of mem becomes slow.
Does the same happen for you?
>From what I understood this is because the camera isn't using interrupts
to tell there is a new image ready (???) and the current driver is just
polling al the time??

Scott, if you want I could put up your patch, until Jarl is back and
reading, with a small readme file and the already patched driver for
I-can't-patch-myself users ;-) I also have the wcIIcam file online and
that has been doenloaded over a hundred times, and I have never seen
more than 15 ppl here :-)

> Scott J. Bertin
> sbertin@mindspring.com

Thanx again,

Bas (who is hoping that in some time he can run his webcam from Linux
instead of booting to NT ;)

----
Bas Rijniersce                       Phone +31 341 550545
Oude Telgterweg 81                   Fax +31 341 562940
3851 EA  Ermelo                      http://www.brijn.nu
The Netherlands                      bas@brijn.nu