PPP2 driver interface_pp.c overhaul

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:12:29 +0200 (CEST)

On 29-Aug-99 Bas Rijniersce wrote:

> Great !!!!! I used the patch and it works OK. I can't test the multiple
> camera option :) The rest seems to work great. One question, all drivers
> so far have put a huge load on the machine when starting the ./main
> client program. Even my dual celeron with a lot of mem becomes slow.
> Does the same happen for you?
>>From what I understood this is because the camera isn't using interrupts
> to tell there is a new image ready (???) and the current driver is just
> polling al the time??

That is true. There is a busy-wait in the kernel-code (the WHILE_OUT macro). I
have a patch that utilizes the scheduler task-queu. Note that interrupt-driven
code is not the solution here. The busy wait is while waiting for data on the
parallel port and not while waiting for a picture. Unfortunatly my code has
still some problem if interrupted (I am new to kernel-hacking ;). I will debug
this and than send the patch to the list. This should happen until Tuesday this
week.

Just for the numbers: on my PII-350 the load goes to about 5% for qcif-size
and maybe 30% for cif-szie, about half in user-space doing the decoding, the
rest in kernel-space reading data from the parport (done with the ./main client
program).

Greetings, Peter