cpia-0.2 client weirdness

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Tue, 06 Jul 1999 08:37:41 +0200 (CEST)

On 29-Jun-99 Vidar Madsen wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> Just a quick note; the wingetdepth() function in x11_2.c in the latest
> codebase always return 15. Yes, quite trivial to fix, but it had me
> stumped for a while, wondering what the heck happened. ;)
>
> So if your capture looks like aged cheese, and your display is not 15
> bpp, you might want to fix it. :) ("return depth;" seems to work
> nicely, so just delete the first one.)

This is not a complete fix. After spending a few hours with this I do
understand things now better. For certain video cards (i.e. mine ;) such
as the ATI-Mach64 there is a difference between the depth of the
visual and the needed layout of the pixmap-buffer.

In other words, the call to XCreateImage in x11.c respectivly the
return value of wingetdepth() is broken for some hardware and I will
send a patch today evening. If you only get at a reasonable picture with
x11_2.c and a depth of 16bit you do suffer from this problem.

Greetings, Peter