CPiA Parallell port codebase

Nick Holloway Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk
24 Jun 1999 21:13:19 +0100

A quick scan of the documentation suggests to me that the actual commands
used to control the camera are the same for the USB and PPC2 drivers, and
the main difference is the way in which the bytes get shoved about.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?  The code related to the
camera could seperated out, and used by both the USB and PPC2 drivers.
They would then pass the commands via function pointers in a "struct
cpia_driver".

This would be in the same way that the "struct tty_driver" defines
the interface between the low-level tty driver and the tty routines
(see tty_driver.h).

This would mean only having to write the code providing the v4l driver
(and goodies such as exposure adjustment), deciding what commands to
send to the camera, etc would only need to be written once.

As an aside, I think an initial target would be a v4l module for the
2.2 kernel, as this provides a much larger set of users (and testers).
It could also be added to the 2.3 kernel now.  The v4l2 driver could
come later.

Comments?

PS: I bought a Creative WebCam II based purely on the availability of
the documentation for the CPiA chipset.  The vague promise of a binary
only module for the Logitech QuickCam VC was no where near as good.
I hope to be able to contribute with code in the future.

--
 `O O'  | Home: Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk  http://www.alfie.demon.co.uk/
// ^ \\ | Work: Nick.Holloway@parallax.co.uk