ERRORS

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 08:31:24 +0100 (CET)

On 03-Nov-99 Bas Rijniersce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jose Serrano Rodenas wrote:
>> I have RedHat  6.1 linux machine.
>> I hava been trying to install the Parport driver v0.3. but I can't do
>> it successfully.
>> ppcpia:interface_pp.c:ppcpia_register(802):port is not ECP capable
>> > ppcpia:interface_pp.c:if_Init(967):No cameras found
>
> My guess is that the first message is relevant. Go into your bios and
> look for the parallel port settings. You can often changes this from EPP
> to ECP+EPP and some other options that I don't recall right now. I think
> you currently have something like EPP, change it (often with
> PageUp/PageDown) to the option that has at least ECP (I think ECP+EPP is
> the option I have used).

After insertion of the parallel port module you must get a console message
similar to this:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378, dma 3 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]

The protocol ECP _must_ be in the list above. If it is not there stop
fiddling around with the camera-driver. It is not the cause and the camera
will _not_ work as long as you do not solve that problem first. I can think
of several possible causes: the bios/jumper-settings for the parport are
wrong as suggested by Bas; the linux parport driver might not support
ECP-mode on your parallel card chip (guess only possible for rather
exotic/old PCs); your parallel-port does not support ECP-mode (also only
for very old PCs).

-Peter