Driver V4.0

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:57:07 +0100 (CET)

On 12-Nov-99 Jean-Michel Merliot wrote:
> Hi,
>
>         I tried the driver v4.0.
>
>         I just added the stuff to make it on my SPM system.
>
>         Compiles nicely, installs nicely, but I got an I/O error when I
> try to open
> /dev/video with the built-in gqcam ;-(.
>
>         In fact, the same problem than Bas has.

Please have a look /proc/cpia/cam0 and mail us the content. IIRC it is
populated right after the first open. Also any kernel-syslog messages are
a must for any help. One thing, did you use the ./loadpp script to load
the modules of kernel-patch? If not (i.e. you do insmod by hand), keep in
mind that you have to load cpia.o _and_ cpia_pp.o (and in that order).

>         Driver v3.1 worked well afer reading the mailing list and
> remembering my PC was dual CPU ;-).
>
>         If any test needed, I can help...

That is nice to hear. It means that the basic v4l with the read-mehtod
seems to work with SMP. BUT :) take care with any v4l-application that does
use the mmap to get the data from the driver. It will definitly kill your
machine right now. I will try to fix mmap-stuff over the weekend, i.e.
consider mmap as broken for now.

-Peter