Off-topic: How to persuade a company to release specs

Bas Rijniersce bas@brijn.nu
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:55:27 +0100

Hi,

It's a bit off-topic, but anyway. For learning C, the cpia code is a bit to
complex for me to follow :-) So I started writing a driver for a simple
digital camera (Jenoptik JD11e, 640x480, serial port). From captured
communications under  Windows I can talk to the camera and get the same
answers the Windows driver gets. But most of them don't mean anything to me.
I wrote a short message to Jenoptik with the question if they would be
willing to release protocol specs. They didn't. Now I want to send a bit
longer message explaining the benefits of open protocol descriptions etc.

Jarl, since you had succes with VLSI, what arguments did you use? Are there
any good examples on the net? Are there other people who have experience in
this.

TIA,
Bas

----