Creative Webcam-II (par) Problems

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:38:05 +0200 (CEST)

On 17-Oct-99 Lutz Poetschulat wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I would use this webcam on my linux system and have download
> the following software: cpia-0.2.2.tgz (new one cpia-0.2.3.tgz)
> and mcam-0.9.tgz. The packages of drivers and applications are
> for v4l2 are broken and not unpacked.

Reading the README/TODO/INSTALL will tell you hat there is no v4l-driver
yet. Use the test-client that is part of the driver.

> System is Linux distribution S.u.S.E. 6.2 with 2.2.10 kernel on
> Pentium III 450MHz and 128MB Ram.
>
> Errors are in attachments.

Set the include paths to wherever your kernel-headers for the actual
kernel are.

> I know, software is in devel-status, but is there any real running
> software or any fixes for my problems too ?

If you promise to test the dma-version and tell me where I can get the
mcam-software I will help. ;) The cpia-0.2.3 test-client using DMA was
running at my working place (knfs, e-mail, www, kernel-compilation, ...)
for about 6 hours without any problem. There was no remarkable performance
loss (linux 2.2.12, PII330, 128M) except the slight irritation always
looking at the own face.

About the v4l-status: I have a running version (polling and not interrupt
driven but it DMA-based) that needs some cleanup. Since it still kills the
kernel during device-close in some circumstances (if the close is due to a
sigint of the user-space process it stalls the machine, a sigterm is no
problem -> anyone knows what to look for?) I will not release it
immediatly. Also there are some cleanups in the v4l-api necessary. That
stuff is so badly documented that I have to write the driver after the
applications and not after the specification. So if there is any
v4l-application that should run tell me now.

-Peter