Creative Webcam-II (par) Problems

Lutz Poetschulat dg0lp@darc.de
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:19:30 +0100

Hi Peter,

Peter Pregler wrote:

> On 17-Oct-99 Lutz Poetschulat wrote:
> > Hello..
> >
> > I would use this webcam on my linux system and have download
> > the following software: cpia-0.2.2.tgz (new one cpia-0.2.3.tgz)
> > and mcam-0.9.tgz. The packages of drivers and applications are
> > for v4l2 are broken and not unpacked.
>
> Reading the README/TODO/INSTALL will tell you hat there is no v4l-driver
> yet. Use the test-client that is part of the driver.

On Website http://millennium.diads.com/bdirks/v4l2.htm in section
"Video for Linux Two Source Code" there are some drivers applications
and samples. This packages i have had load down but archives are broken
any time. I`m not shure, is this a softwareproblem on myside or is this
package on website broken before i download it.

> > System is Linux distribution S.u.S.E. 6.2 with 2.2.10 kernel on
> > Pentium III 450MHz and 128MB Ram.
> >
> > Errors are in attachments.
>
> Set the include paths to wherever your kernel-headers for the actual
> kernel are.

This is done.

> > I know, software is in devel-status, but is there any real running
> > software or any fixes for my problems too ?
>
> If you promise to test the dma-version and tell me where I can get the
> mcam-software I will help. ;) The cpia-0.2.3 test-client using DMA was

mcam-0.9 i have from
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/www/misc/mcam-0.9.tgz
and found mirrors on http://filewatcher.org (VERY nice website !!!).

> running at my working place (knfs, e-mail, www, kernel-compilation, ...)
> for about 6 hours without any problem. There was no remarkable performance
> loss (linux 2.2.12, PII330, 128M) except the slight irritation always
> looking at the own face.

Thats right ! :)

> About the v4l-status: I have a running version (polling and not interrupt
> driven but it DMA-based) that needs some cleanup. Since it still kills the
> kernel during device-close in some circumstances (if the close is due to a
> sigint of the user-space process it stalls the machine, a sigterm is no
> problem -> anyone knows what to look for?) I will not release it
> immediatly. Also there are some cleanups in the v4l-api necessary. That
> stuff is so badly documented that I have to write the driver after the
> applications and not after the specification. So if there is any
> v4l-application that should run tell me now.
>
> -Peter

Ok, many thanks for information. I would test some other software now,
but
i`m listening on the vision-webcam-reflector too next time.

> Email: Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
> WWW:   http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/ppregler

cu, Lutz Poetschulat
Email: dg0lp@darc.de