Webcam (cpia) on laptop

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:13:11 +0200 (CEST)

On 25-Oct-99 Jacob Nikom wrote:
> My problem with WebCamII and Linux is that I cannot install
> the cpia driver - it reports that "the device is busy".
> I have feeling if I could install the driver, it is going
> to work.
>
> Actually I am not installing the latest version of the cpia
> driver, but the one which already worked on my desktop.
> Are they equivalent with different hardware?

Yes and no. It depends on how you set up your hardware. But with respect
to the 'device busy' they are most probably equivalent.

> Also, ThinkPad has different way of setting up the parallel
> port parameters. It is doing it not through usual BIOS setting
> procedure which is OS independent. It does it through NT
> special routine. First, you have to download NT to manage your
> parallel port setting and after that reboot Linux. So I am
> not exactly sure how parallel port parameters stay during
> another kernel reboot.

I don't know anything about that. Ask the linux-parport guys about that.
For the Webcam I have to assume that you configured your parport correctly.

> What could be different in parallel port on ThinkPad from
> usual parallel port? How I can verify the parallel port
> parameters being in Linux? Is there any way to get more
> information about the problem than "the device is busy"?

The difference is usually a different chip-set. How to find out if your
parport is configured correctly: you should get the following after doing
a 'modprobe parport_probe' (under the assumption that you compiled the
kernel with parport_probe support, otherwise do a 'modprobe parport_pc'
and see what happens):

parport0: PC-style at 0x378, dma 3 [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
parport0: read2 timeout.
parport0: Multimedia device, VLSI Vision Ltd PPC2 Camera

The numbers may vary. That is no harm. Important is that you have
ECP-support. For the 'dma N' to appear you need some setting in your
modutil package. Maybe ignore that for now. The thing will work without
that too. The read2 timeout can be ignored too.

-Peter