Webcam (cpia) on laptop

Jacob Nikom nikom@merl.com
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:38:34 -0400

Hi,

I would like to thank you guys for your responses.
I already posted my question a couple of weeks ago
and did not get any responses, so I felt like asking
strange question. Now I see that other people have
problems with laptops - at least I am not alone.

Answer to Peter's suggestion about running WebCam on NT.
Yes, I was able to run it on my laptop using Windows NT.
I had some problem with NT driver installation but finally
I solved it.

My problem with WebCamII and Linux is that I cannot install
the cpia driver - it reports that "the device is busy".
I have feeling if I could install the driver, it is going
to work.

Actually I am not installing the latest version of the cpia
driver, but the one which already worked on my desktop.
Are they equivalent with different hardware?

Also, ThinkPad has different way of setting up the parallel
port parameters. It is doing it not through usual BIOS setting
procedure which is OS independent. It does it through NT
special routine. First, you have to download NT to manage your
parallel port setting and after that reboot Linux. So I am
not exactly sure how parallel port parameters stay during
another kernel reboot.

What could be different in parallel port on ThinkPad from
usual parallel port? How I can verify the parallel port
parameters being in Linux? Is there any way to get more
information about the problem than "the device is busy"?

Thank you for your support,

Jacob Nikom