Creative Webcam III

Jarl Totland Jarl.Totland@bdc.no
Mon, 06 Sep 1999 08:06:50 +0200

According to Takano Naoki <takano@mtl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>:
> I bought WebCam3 which is selled by Creative. But this cannot use CPiA chip.
> This uses OV7610 and OV511 chips. So I want to try to develop the driver.
>
> I find OV511 pdf Manual on the OminiVision(Chip Vendor company).
> But I didn't get informations to develop the driver (for example, USB Vendor
> Command, Compression algorithm ) in this Manual.
>
> I send the e-mail to this Campany to get develepment resources.
> But the reply disappointed me. The reply is blew.
>
>> I'm sorry but the OV511 software was designed to operate in Windows 98 and
>> Windows 2000 when Win2000 is released.  Currently, OmniVison has no plans to
>> provide Linux support for the OV511.  As OmniVision is principally a CMOS
>> camera chip manufacturer, we are very limited in software development
>> resources.
>
> Then how do I get the resources about OV511? Must I give up development?
> I'd like to hear your opinion. Please help me!!

Obviously this is a completely different design, meaning no spinoff from
the wc2 driver.

The company takes roughly the same position Vision did a year ago, so I
guess there is hope yet. Feel free to bother OmniVision for documentation
etc, remember to always be polite and try to play off their advantages etc.
See any Linux Advocacy guide for more on this.

Vyrdsamt,
Jarl Totland

http://home.eunet.no/~jtotland