Future direction of driver

sbertin@mindspring.com sbertin@mindspring.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:09:16 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to see some discussion of what we want this driver to
eventually look like.

Right now, I envision 3 modules:

cpia
	High level driver that handles translation on v4l requests into
	CPiA commands.  This is also the place to handle differences in
	CPiA firmware versions.

cpia_pp
cpia_usb
	Low level drivers for interacting with the hardware.  Both PP
	and USB cameras should be usable at the same time.

The interface between these modules could be modelled after the parport
code, and use a variant of interface.h.

These modules would exist in 4 source code files:
cpia.h  cpia.c  cpia_pp.c  cpia_usb.c

The parallel port module should handle nibble mode and operation without
IRQs in addition to the full ECP ports.  This should take full
advantage of the parport ieee1284 code in the kernel.

I expect hardware support will be somewhat easier for the USB module.

This should be doable by the time the 2.4 kernel is released, although
this driver may not go into the kernel until 2.5 unless the development
progresses very rapidly.

Question for the USB developers: Do you agree that it is a good idea to
merge the two efforts, or do you have a different vision of how things
should work?

Scott J. Bertin
sbertin@mindspring.com