Future direction of driver

Jarl Totland Jarl.Totland@bdc.no
Thu, 09 Sep 1999 15:42:16 +0200

I'll just like to say I admire your concentrated effort in this. Wish I had
the time to spend on doing this; however the important thing is getting it
done. Seems like you're good at it. :-) Your writeup is perfectly in line
with my visions of the cpia driver. Most of the major work should be pretty
straightforward. I suggest these priorities:

1) Adopt the new filestructure and modulestructure, make the cpia_pp right.
This includes the hard stuff (IRQ/DMA). Don't bother too much with pre-ECP
capabilities for now, or tuning, or avoiding duplicating kernel code,
delegate that to the rest of us.
2) Port the USB driver to cpia_usb. This is relatively straightforward,
basically just removing the V4L already in place there. The pp clients
should accept cpia_usb as a dropin replacement for cpia_pp.
3) Start doing the V4L layer.  There is some code for this in the USB
driver. Personally, I'd prefer V4L2, maybe simply basing it on V4L2's
excellent sample capture driver source. Though as V4L2 is obviously not
getting into 2.4, we're probably best off doing a V4L layer.

Thanks for the great work.

Vyrdsamt,
-Jarl Totland

Business Data Consulting AS, Sandslimarka 35, 5254 Sandsli, Norway
Tel 47 55984400, Fax 47 55984450, Cell 47 95961735, http://www.bdc.no