Future direction of driver

Henry Bruce whb@vvl.co.uk
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 18:16:37 +0100 (BST)

> I'm using the CPiA driver with my Zoom Telephonics ZoomCam, which
> is another CPiA-based camera. If the driver is named for only one
> seller's trade name of the camera, people might think the driver
> only worked with the WebCam II instead of with all CPiA cameras.

As you can see on Jarl's web page, there are a number of cameras that use the
CPiA chipset, however the Creative and Zoom versions are likely to be the most
common. There are even more coming out out Taiwan - I'll keep you informed of
product names as they appear.

> My vote is to stick with a generic name. Either CPiA for the
> chipset being used or something related to VLSI Vision Ltd., the
> company that makes the cameras. It might even be a good idea to
> make the name more specific, like "CPiA-VV0670", just in case
> VLSI Vision releases a different camera chipset next year.

I would agree with this approach. There are two issues to note
1. Vision WILL be releasing more camera chipsets next year
2. We have been taken over by STMicroElectronics. This means that device
   numbering will be prefixed by STV rather than VV. All chips also have a
   codename or acronym.

Keep up the god work.

Henry Bruce
Software Development Manager