a better v4l test application needed

Peter Pregler Peter.Pregler@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:31:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

to test my v4l-module I would need a better v4l-application than xawtv.
Namely it should be possible to

- set brightness, color
- grab images
- pause
- any screen size handling (should be mapped to cif/qcif/...)

In other words it should be tailored playing with a camera not for
watching television. I have no idea if all listed above is really covered
by the v4l-api. But in any case, if  your favoritve v4l-camera application
supports those please give me a note so I can check things.

About the status of my v4l-stuff: it still crashes the kernel, but only
after quitting (i.e. it is a throw away application right now ;). Apart
from that it seems to run stable. And strange enough it does consume much
less cpu, don't have the slightest idea why. One more thing, latency is
bad (i.e. the mouse hops). Has anyone an idea about the maximum execution
time suggested for any kernel-thread before calling the scheduler?

Greetings, Peter