[cpia] shm filesystem (was Ezonics...)

Joseph C. Kopec kopecjc@att.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:50:38 -0400

As mentioned earlier, I have been trying out the 2.3.99-pre5 kernel to
get the Ezonics usb webcam to work.  I can get video for a while but
then the viewer (a
modified version of gqcam) stops working.  I get error messages that
indicate that the problem might be lack of support for the shm
filesystem.  I suspect that my problem might be a failure to make the
appropriate selection in xconfig to support this.  The 'help' page for
the System V IPC (CONFIG_SYSVIPC) in xconfig states that one should
place into /etc/fstab the following:

none         /var/shm         shm       defaults       0 0

Similarly, Johannes Erdfelt suggested using the mount command, which I
guess accomplishes the same thing.  Making the change to /etc/fstab
leads to boot messages indicating that there is no /var/shm mount
point.  What would I have to do to create the shm filesystem and mount
point -- for instance, what config option would I have to select)?