[cpia] want to buy USB Camera ?

Jack Diederich jack_diederich@email.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:51:25 -0400 (EDT)

Any of the cameras listed here http://webcam.sourceforge.net/
will work with USB & linux.  They are in the $50 +- $10 price range (at least the EZonics which I bought) and are decent  webcams.

As for software, there are a whole bunch of apps for linux.  Do a search on freshmeat.net, or just click here http://freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=cam+stream

The webcam.sourceforge.net link is where you should go to get the latest drivers for cpia based cameras.  I haven't tried any other types of cameras on linux (I'm not even sure what other cameras are supported, if any).

-jack

------Original Message------
From: Robert Ladstaetter <robert@work.vc-graz.ac.at>
To: cpia@risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Sent: August 8, 2000 1:01:51 PM GMT
Subject: [cpia] want to buy USB Camera ?

hello all,

I want to buy a camera which supports following features:

*) streaming video/audio (with logging of streams/time/userbasis)
*) via USB? this is not a necessity - I'm not so much into the whole
   issue, the important thing is that streaming is possible
*) running under linux (somehow)
*) pricing: ranging from $0 - $300 (dollar) ??;

This is a non - technical request, but I thought that the persons who are
subscribed have the technical background to give the right tips,

any help greatly appreciated,

robert

--
mfG