[cpia] want to buy USB Camera ?

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:28:46 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 11:51:25AM -0400, Jack Diederich wrote:

> The webcam.sourceforge.net link is where you should go to get the
> latest drivers for cpia based cameras. I haven't tried any other types
> of cameras on linux (I'm not even sure what other cameras are
> supported, if any).

The cpia-based webcams have one drawback over the other cameras
available these days. They are 100K pixel cameras, i.e. the highest
true resolution is CIF which is 352x280. About all other cameras on the
market (afaik there are linux-drivers for ov511 based cameras such as
the webcam III, or even philips vesta, ...) seem to do vga resolution
(640x480). I have no idea how good/stable the linux-drivers for those
cameras are. But the support form the vendor (i.e. open specifications
and windos-source code) is definitly not that good as it is for the
cpia chip. If you have to use a 2.2 kernel and/or do not need the high
resolution a cpia-based camera should be the best option. And USB is
IMHO definitly the better choice these days.

-Peter

--
Even the thought that a ship was waiting to take him back to Earth
did not wipe out the sense of loss he felt at that moment.