[cpia] Webcams with Linux

Peter Pregler Peter_Pregler@email.com
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:02:04 +0100

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:14:30PM -0600, Pamela Castro wrote:

> Currently, I am using kernel 2.2.16 and would have to upgrade to at least
> 2.3.X in order to have USB support, correct?

No, 2.2.18 will do.

> Does anyone know of any software for Linux that will take snapshots
> periodically (for example, every 5 seconds)using the webcam(s)?

There are several such programs around (vidcat, webcam, ...). Check out
the v4l-applications pages.

> I may want to use more than one USB webcam and have been using a USB hub for
> some webcams on Windows.  I may be able to get away with just using one if
> it allows me to zoom in and out on images.  Which webcams do you
> suggest?

I am not aware of any webcam that can do software-controlled zooms.

> I am not running RedHat 7.0 but a previous version.  Would it be easier to
> use RedHat 7.0 before attempting to install the cpia device driver?

No. Distribution has not much to do with kernel drivers unless you use
precompiled kernels.

-Peter

--
You can weave your life so long - only so long, and then a thing
in the world out of your control will tug at one vital thread