[cpia] Any FreeBSDers in here?

Alan Corey coreya@unix1.gcc.mass.edu
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:48:31 -0500 (EST)

Just wondering if anyone has been trying to get this to work with FreeBSD.

FreeBSD has a built-in implementation of the IEEE-1284 layer as of
version 3 that can be configured into the kernel or loaded as a module:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ppi&sektion=4&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+3.4-RELEASE
but it lacks the Video 4 Linux infrastructure.

My interest with my Webcam II is in time-lapse photography or traditional
frame-per-minute webcam use, so I'm not very interested in trying to get
real time video out of it.  The Windows drivers available from Creative
won't allow any frame rate between 1 per minute as fast event logging and
1 per second as slow video.  Still, I've had some fun doing animations of
accelerated clouds overhead and sunsets.

I don't know much C, and I've only written a half-dozen or so simple C
programs in the unix environment, but I'm wondering how close the parport
interface written for this might come to FreeBSD's built-in one.  Might
it be possible to use this client module with the FreeBSD interface after
some fairly minor changes?

  Alan Corey

              It's time to FDISK Microsoft and reformat.