[cpia] Problems with w3cam

Claudio Matsuoka claudio@helllabs.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:17:00 -0200 (BRST)

I started to hunt down the w3cam problem I reported a couple of
weeks ago, and I'm a bit confused with the results. I'm using
the 0.7.1 drivers and a parallel port Webcam 2.

The description of the problem: w3cam only grabs a single frame
before starting to complain about bad reads. gqcam OTOH works
perfectly.

Checking the source code to both applications the only significative
difference seems to be the mmap()'ed access in w3cam. I replaced
get_image() in w3cam.c with code from gqcam, and to my surprise
it still complains about streamRead failed. Here's where it fails:

cpia_pp.c:

   1281      if(new_bytes!=linelen || *(buffer+read_bytes+linelen-1)! =EOL) {
   1282             DBG("Error reading line\n");
   1283             break;
   1284      }

The debug information from the kernel is identical for both applications
(gqcam and w3cam).

I'll try to investigate further -- any ideas are welcome.

claudio